General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Type XXI building
Posted by: GUIDO ()
Date: June 09, 2001 03:57PM

<HTML>Hi guys!

I have a friend that´s interested in making a diorama of AG Wesser´s building slips with two Type XXI on them and he asked me a really tough question: what color were the sections painted when shipped from the different origins to the assemblying shipyard? I would say it would be some kind of primer, as painting them in their final color could result in sections with different shades. Can anyone help us with this?

Also while looking at photos we saw the the barges on which sections were secured. We saw a specially long barge with several sections on it, forme by two cilindrical pontoons. These reminded me very closely the pressure hull of submarines, even to de extent of having four circular plates welded were the bow torpedo tubes would be. It certainly would have made the most expensive barge in the world, but would deffinetly stand any grounding! Did any of this occured to any of you?

Thanks for your time and help.
Best regards,
GUIDO</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Type XXI building GUIDO 06/09/2001 03:57PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.