General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: Lat & Long Position ?
Posted by: John Griffiths ()
Date: June 17, 2001 03:32PM

<HTML>Hello Jim,

>>You have all helped me out before, this time it\\\'s a position at sea. Would u-boats know of these rocks? Please let me know where they are:
On the 19 May 1827 Captain Maxwell of the ship HOME came near three sunken rocks, 6 foot underwater by 30 foot circumference.
Position he give: Lat 41.6.23 N. Long 49.75 W.<<

That position is somewhere sou\'east of Canada. I would hazard a guess that it is off the tip of the Grand Banks, where the water average depth is usually measured in thousands of feet...typical depth would be 11,000 - 12,000 feet. I guess the skipper of the Home was very, very unlucky indeed! It begs the question, how on earth did the \'Home\' know the size? Did they lead line the depths? How? In a small boat? That is open sea and whilst the dorymen of the Canadian banks knew their stuff, your average matelot would not be so skilled in open water boat handling! Perhaps they were whales...? Just a thought!

Perhaps it is near Sable Island, I can\'t be exactly sure - but the irregularities in the bathymetry (if any) would fit with that area. Maybe one of the Canadian forum members could be more exact?

As for navigation. The U-boats would have had charts drawn up by the RN! Updating would, of course, be difficult - the account was probably closed by then! However, they would certainly have seized charts from any ships they had a chance to stop and search. If you add to that positions taken by both DR - dead reckoning and also via sextant with both star / sun sights, then you could guarentee they\'d have a fairly good idea of where they were and what lay beneath.

>>I don\\\'t have charts that cover this area.<<

Unlikely that you would do!

Love to Cymru!

Aye,

John

(An ex-patriate Taff living in England! )
Signed jim Phillips Shipwreck Researcher Wales.</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Lat &amp; Long Position ? Jim Phillips Shipwreck Researc 06/17/2001 08:50AM
RE: Lat &amp; Long Position ? John Griffiths 06/17/2001 03:32PM
RE: Lat &amp; Long Position ? Johannes 06/17/2001 03:52PM
RE: Lat &amp; Long Position ? Johannes John Griffiths 06/18/2001 03:50PM
RE: Lat &amp; Long Position ? John Johannes 06/18/2001 05:29PM
RE: Lat &amp; Long Position ? John JohnGriffiths 06/18/2001 06:02PM
RE: Lat &amp; Long Way Off Rainer Bruns 06/17/2001 05:18PM
RE: Lat &amp; Long Position ? Jim Phillips 06/17/2001 07:43PM
RE: Lat &amp; Long Position ? Ted Agar 06/17/2001 09:51PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.