General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
SS Huxter
Posted by: Bruce Dennis ()
Date: August 21, 2008 08:41PM

I asked previously about a German hospital ship named HOXTER: I now know that this name was wrongly spelled/quoted in the KM documents I was reading and the real name was SS Huxter. Miramar Ship Index has provided the basic information, but can anyone tell me more about her history as a hospital ship?

Launched June 1924,
991 BRT,
L=70.3M,
W=10.87M,
Patients (beds)/Medical staff=102/13 & crew=16

“16.10.41 into service as hospital ship; decommissioned 25.6.44 after suffering heavy damage from an air attack; scuttled 9.8.44 in St. Malo harbour as a blockship (48°39 N / 02°01 W); raised 1948, and repaired; 1950s French Oualidia;…”

Huxter was definitely in St. Malo in autumn of 1942, and as you see above was then damaged in an air attack at the same port in June 1944. Did she spend her whole career there? Was it common for German hospital ships to stay in one place?

I know nothing about the German hospital ships so anything will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
SS Huxter Bruce Dennis 08/21/2008 08:41PM
Re: SS Huxter Michael Doliva 06/13/2016 11:40PM
Re: SS Huxter Bruce Dennis 06/14/2016 01:19PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.