General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: Cyanide capsules
Posted by: Walter M ()
Date: July 06, 2001 11:26AM

<HTML>Dear Robert,
Cyanide capsules are extremely dangerous to handle.
For sure the American U2 spy planes pilots had one, but it could kill them in case of accidental breaking. Gary Powell did not use its one. That pill was later widrawn from the pilot\'s equipment.
I never heard of such kind of equipment among submariners. Some of them had an \"unofficial\" pistol for an easy way off. Moreover morphine can be used for suicide, and they had some in the medical equipment, but I doubt they got enough: the mortal dose is two-four times the therapeutical one. Finally, men trapped inside will die for exposure and carbonarcosis (too much carbon dioxide) when the KOH cartridges of the breathers would finally be fully exhausted. That means they would start a quiet, eternal sleep. Clearly the horror of knowing the unavoidable is difficult to overcome, but alcohol could fit.
I wish to set aside the ethics of suicide because you asked a technical question, I hope.
Greetings
Walter M.
</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Cyanide capsules Robert Miglino 07/06/2001 09:25AM
Cyanide capsules? Dietzsch 07/06/2001 10:59AM
RE: Cyanide capsules Walter M 07/06/2001 11:26AM
RE: Cyanide capsules Mike McCarthy 07/06/2001 05:02PM
RE: Cyanide capsules Yuri IL\'IN 07/07/2001 03:59PM
RE: Cyanide capsules Robert Miglino 07/06/2001 07:40PM
RE: Cyanide capsules Walter M 07/06/2001 07:55PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.