General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: this one is difficult !!!
Posted by: Visje ()
Date: July 10, 2001 05:58AM

<HTML>Hoi Brian,

The German freighter was in fact the Dutch steamer Kota Tjandi of the Rotterdamsche Lloyd. Lt. Cdr. Geys (the CO) suspected it to be the sistership Kota Nopan, which had been captured by the German raider Komet in November 1941. K-14 flashed the recognition signal twice, but the freighter maintained her gunfire, and then escaped behind a smokescreen.

I have heard a story that an officer aboard Kota Tjandi was awarded for sinking the \"enemy\" submarine, but I can\'t remember where I read it.

About the submarine, I am reading here in Bosscher \"De Koninklijke Marine in de Tweede Wereldoorlog\", volume 3, which deals with late war operations, and also has some details on the incident:

Geys himself sighted an incoming submarine, which could not be identified as Allied. He immediately ordered to submerge, and made a standard bow-tube attack on the target, which did about 13-14 knots. He fired a 4-torpedo spread, unfortunately of old torpedoes, which had a very distinct wake. The sub sighted them, and turned away. Geys thought he saw that the enemy sub fired two stern torpedoes (type IX sub!). Supposedly, one of the torpedoes Geys fired passed over the submerged K-14.

Sources:

K.W.L. Bezemer \"Verdreven doch niet verslagen\"
Ph.M. Bosscher \"De Koninklijke Marine in de Tweede Wereldoorlog\", vol.3

Hope this helps,

Visje</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
this one is difficult !!! Brian Corijn 07/09/2001 09:02PM
RE: this one is difficult !!! Visje 07/10/2001 05:58AM
RE: this one is difficult!, lets do some homework Brian Corijn 07/10/2001 09:09PM
RE: this one is difficult!, lets do some homework Andrew Mair 07/11/2001 09:24AM
RE: this one is difficult!, lets do some homework Brian Corijn 07/11/2001 10:38AM
RE: this one is difficult!, lets do some homework Visje 07/12/2001 07:03AM
RE: this one is difficult!, lets do some homework Brian Corijn 07/12/2001 07:06AM
RE: this one is difficult!, lets do some homework Visje 07/12/2001 03:52PM
RE: this one is difficult!, lets do some homework Brian Corijn 07/12/2001 08:55PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.