General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Sinking of NYMS 382
Posted by: Robert Camfiord ()
Date: July 12, 2001 11:13PM

<HTML>I am seeking information regarding the sinking of the Norwegian minesweeper NYMS-382 in the Irish Sea on May 7, 1945. It was torpedoed by the U-1023 which was enroute to Weymouth, England for purposes of surrender as per naval orders. Kptit Heinrich Schroeteler turned his boat over to British authorities on May 10.

Beyond the historical fact that NYMS 382 was the last allied ship sunk by a German U-Boat in WW-2, it is of personal significance to me since my uncle was an officer aboard the 382 and was lost along with all other members of the crew. His name was Asbjorn Stein.

Outside of some family details, this is as much as I know. I have checked most of the obvious publications and now hope that maybe somebody reading this might be of some help.

Coincidently, I see that Innes McCartney will be shortly leading a diving/filming expedition in the Operation Deadlight area north of Malin Head. This is scheduled to take place
in the last two weeks of this month. The MV Salutay, a 59 foot motor yacht will serve the expedition. U-1023 is one of the many boats targeted!

Regards,
Bob Camfiord
Clifton, Virginia
USA

</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Sinking of NYMS 382 Robert Camfiord 07/12/2001 11:13PM
RE: Sinking of NYMS 382 Tore Setså 07/13/2001 04:16AM
RE: Sinking of NYMS 382 Walter M 07/13/2001 09:39AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.