General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: Birkenhead meeting & U 534 visit
Date: July 19, 2001 09:47AM

<HTML>Howdy :)

I\'d love to be able to join you guys and see some of you good people in person but it\'s not very likely. I just returned from England about 3 weeks ago and was for a few days actually very close to the U-534 but not not see her at that time. I may be in Essex, England for a week or so in late Sept this year though.

I saw her in Sept 1999 and was both impressed and a little disappointed in seeing the shape she was in (understandable shape all things considered of course) - but it would be interesting to see her today and compare the two. When I was there they were building the tower (which was a complete surprise to me as I had understood that they meant to keep here in \"salvaged condition\").

However the worst part of the visit was the tour guide, the more he spoke the less I liked what I heard. His \"lecture\" was full of nonsense, both about the boat and the war itself (\"Type IX boats were only milk cows for the 30-man-crew VII boats\" etc.). A massive amount of time was spent on the theory that someone \"important\" (Bormann perhaps?) was supposed to be transported on this boat. Yawn! :)

In the end me, a friend and an Austrian war expert and a few others broke off and guided ourselves, sharing interesting information :) I was tempted to correct the guide a few times but I did not.

Make sure you get a good guide on this trip! :) She is worth the trip though, not a question, also the frigate (same type us Icelanders kicked in the rear during the 2 \"Cod Wars\" in the 70\'s haha :) and the sub that fought in the Falklands.

Gudmundur Helgason
[uboat.net]
</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Birkenhead meeting &amp; U 534 visit MPC 07/18/2001 05:30PM
RE: Tour date announcement chrinsylee 07/19/2001 01:39AM
RE: Birkenhead meeting &amp; U 534 visit Gudmundur Helgason 07/19/2001 09:47AM
RE: Kicked in the rear ? MPC 07/19/2001 07:12PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.