General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Interesting snippets/ oldest serving U boat..
Posted by: chrinsylee ()
Date: July 19, 2001 01:56AM

<HTML>Taken from \'NAVY NEWS\" 1966.
Ashford R.N.A had a recruitment day. Amongst the items on display were a clock from the operations room(sic) from U77. Also the ensign from the Sharnhorst.(I wonder if the branch still have these items?)Over to you Jonh Griffiths...!

Reference is made to a book\"Britians clandestine submarines1914-1918\"
this book contains info about a number of Submarines manufactured in Canada as a private enterprise for the Admiralty. Reference is made to H6 which was stranded on a beach in the Netherlands in 1916, and was later commisioned in to the Netherlands Fleet, until it was captured by the Germans in 1940, and finally scuppered by them at Kiel in 1945.

This must be the oldest serving Sub in use at the time by the Kriegsmarine?I know that it was in service as a U.boat. I cannot recall its designation.I take it that this Sub was one of the clandestine subs manufactured in Montreal? I always thought it was a Dutch built sub that was seconded into German service, but perhaps not. Any one got any further details?</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Interesting snippets/ oldest serving U boat.. chrinsylee 07/19/2001 01:56AM
RE: Interesting snippets/ oldest serving U boat.. Rainer Kolbicz 07/19/2001 07:56PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.