General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
U-Boat and freighter sinking
Posted by: Rod K ()
Date: July 27, 2001 08:34PM

<HTML>My dad was a fleight engineer on a PBM Mariner aircraft during the u-boat threat in the Carribean. During a routine patrol at night somewhere in the central Carribean radar picked up a target at about 20 miles. The radar was turned off until within a few miles and one sweep was made. There were two contacts very close to each other. there was a fly-by with the American equivalent of a Leigh Light turned on. It was a u-boat being refueled by a freighter. My dad said it was Argentinian although I do not know how he knew. The next pass was a salvo drop of everything causing the destruction of both ships. Upon reporting this action to the powers that be the crew was told to never mention this and the log was changed. I believe he was flying out of the Cayman Islands or somewhere near that area at the time.QUESTION- Does anyone have access to any missing ship reports in 1943 in the area discussed because this did happen and the Fate of one u-boat is incorrectly reported ?</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-Boat and freighter sinking Rod K 07/27/2001 08:34PM
RE: U-Boat and freighter sinking walter M 07/27/2001 09:36PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.