General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Air Dropped mines and U Boats
Posted by: Mark ()
Date: March 26, 2014 04:08PM

I am writing a dissertation on air mine laying operations in WW2.
What I wanted to ask is whether anyone can give me any pointers towards any books published in English or other sources that might assist with my research.
Specifically,

(1) Counter measures taken by the U Boat forces/ Kriegsmarine to deal with Air Dropped Ground influenced Mines and the effect the dropping of such mines had on U Boat operations or training

(2) U Boat losses attributable to Mines ( Can these be separated between Air Dropped and Moored Mines?)

(3) Any accounts of U Boat Commanders whose vessels hit mines in Northern Europe

Finally,I read in one account of Bomber Command mine laying that a U Boat was destroyed by a mine in front of the reception parade on the dock in France(?) as it returned from a patrol. Has anyone ever heard of such an event and if so where can I read more about it?
Mark

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Air Dropped mines and U Boats Mark 03/26/2014 04:08PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.