General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Thanks MPC
Posted by: Craig McLean ()
Date: August 10, 2001 10:51PM

<HTML>Thanks, MPC for helping with the \"Battle of the Umlaut\"...!!! I used to have a sheet with the \"codes\" on it...but found my new computer would not accept them and discarded it. But I was using the numbers at the top of the keyboard, not the number pad (which worked with my old pc, with Windows 95---but not when I jumped to Win. Millenium). Now, using the number pad works great, as you suggested, as long as I set the NumLock button first!!

You sent me 2 or 3 letters, and I just ran through other combinations till I found the rest (kind of like Bletchley Park, Kansas USA branch)!! :)

Lest anyone thinks this is a personal email, I can tie this to Germany/U-boats. When you want to write a German umlauted letter, you can now do so without having to use the regular letter followed by an \"e\"...which is correct, in absence of the umlaut, but sometimes looks very awkward nonetheless. Apparently this will not work on this forum, but it will with emails (and I could probably type this as an email then paste it, but won\'t bother now).

Anyway, here are ALL the letters....

lock the NumLock button down (a little light usually goes on)
press and hold ALT key down
enter on the number pad (then release)...
132----umlauted a
148----o
129----u
142----A
153----O
154----U
225----the double ss, which kinda looks like a B

If there is a trick other than copying and pasting to get this to work on the forum, I\'d love to hear it!!!

Doenitz, Lueth, Roesing, etc., all look better with umlauts!!

I long ago emailed a German friend (before I knew the codes) and just left the \"e\" off, as it looks awkward in fuer, Fraeulein, ueber, etc. I just typed fur, Fraulein, uber, etc. She gave me heck, saying I had to use the \"e\". I lied and said I had, but they must have all fallen off going thru the internet, and she didn\'t believe me!!! :)

(Which goes to show [as \"someone\" once said] the big lie is more easily believed than the little one!)

I wish all my friends here (and you all know who you are) a cheerful hello and wish I got on here more often, but I do the best I can...

Craig</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Thanks MPC Craig McLean 08/10/2001 10:51PM
RE: Thanks MPC J.T. McDaniel 08/11/2001 09:41PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.