General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: H47/H49?
Date: August 15, 2001 01:01PM

<HTML>Peter:

Rex J. Farley was a cadet in the ALCOA PATHFINDER when it was torpedoed. As far as I know he is still living, as I saw him at the American Merchant Marine Veterans annual convention in Biloxi MI in May of last year.

Some years ago, Rex wrote an account of the sinking, the landing of the lifeboats and a raft on the African coast, and the crew\'s eventually contact with civilization. In his story he tells the following. \"Painted on the side of the conning tower were the large identification number H49, a number I would always remember.\" This article appeared in \"The Anchor Light\" a publication of the U. S. Merchant Marine Veterans of World War 2.

Incidentally, Orpen and Martin\'s book you say uses the designation \"Petty Officer\". There was no such rank or rating in the United States Merchant Marine.

Cordially.

George.

</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
H47?? Peter 08/13/2001 09:56AM
RE: H47?? Capt. George W. Duffy 08/13/2001 11:53AM
RE: H47/H49? Peter 08/15/2001 03:48AM
RE: H47/H49? Capt. George W. Duffy 08/15/2001 01:01PM
RE: H47/H49? Peter 08/17/2001 04:28PM
RE: H47?? Ken Dunn 08/13/2001 06:06PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.