General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Kursk disaster
Posted by: I Stapley ()
Date: August 13, 2001 10:06AM

<HTML>Last week on BBC2 there was a programme concerning the loss of the Russian submarine \"Kursk\" a year ago this month. In conversation with my father, who saw the programme, it transpires that the possible cause of the disaster was a leaking hydrogen-peroxide torpedo malfunctioning in the bow tube. This recalls the loss of HM Submarine \"Sidon\" in Portsmouth Harbour in the early 1950\'s. Following the disaster, the Royal Navy ceased the use of HP torpedoes. It would seem, however, that the Russians continue to keep these potentially lethal (to their own crews) weapons in front line service. Bearing in mind the appalling financial state of the Russian armed forces generally, with the attendant decline in maintenance, will it be long before a similar catastrophe occurs?</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Kursk disaster I Stapley 08/13/2001 10:06AM
RE: Kursk disaster Peter 08/13/2001 10:46AM
RE: Kursk disaster yngvar gutormsen 08/16/2001 10:32PM
RE: Kursk disaster Yuri IL\'IN 08/18/2001 04:50PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.