General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
HMS Sandringham (?FY598)
Posted by: Andrew N Gagg ()
Date: April 27, 2015 08:38AM

My father Howard W. Gagg was the headmaster of Helpston County Primary School, then in the Soke of Peterborough. The school was at some point in the 1940s(?) presented with a ship's bell, bearing the inscription HMS Sandringham (as I recall). Unfortunately I cannot remember any other part of the wording. The bell was cracked and bulging a bit, through vigourous ringing I expect! It came with a fine pipe-clayed knotwork cord (?'lanyard') attached to its clapper, and I seem to recall a fairly elaborate ceremony at the school, with sailors and a military band, Union Flag hoisting and the rest... Impressive for a small boy as I then was. One could guess that this was at the point when HMS Sandringham returned to civilian life, but I don't know for certain. I am also uncertain of the reason for this presentation, although I would guess that it was to do with the school's (?village's) support of this particular vessel during WWII. The bell remained (un-rung) on show on its specially made oak bracket until the closure of the school as far as I know. What happened to it when the new John Clare School was opened just up the road I do not know. There were I think some press photos taken ('The Peterborough Advertiser' maybe?) but I don't know if they're still extant. If anyone can add to this fragment of history or give any precise dates, I would be delighted to hear of it. I have also posted the above anecdote on the Sandringham's page.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
HMS Sandringham (?FY598) Andrew N Gagg 04/27/2015 08:38AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.