General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Crew member of U-505
Posted by: grand poobah ()
Date: June 01, 2015 04:48AM

I had an interesting conversation with a man wearing a WWII Navy Vet cap today. He related that he was on board a carrier that captured a U-boat. Knowing there was only one such event, I responded "So, you were sailing with Daniel Gallery and you captured the U-505." He nodded.

Then he told me a very interesting story. According to him one of the men on board the U-boat was Polish. He said that when the crew of the U-boat was brought on board it turned out that the man's brother was serving in the US Navy and they hadn't seen each other since sometime before 1939.

He seemed a bit unclear about how the man had ended up in the German Navy, but seemed to suggest he had volunteered or enlisted after Poland fell in 1939.

So...the question is...can anybody confirm this is a true story? The man said the brother (I think the one on the U-boat) was a "Master at Arms." I'm not sure U-Boats actually carried such a position, so it might have been the brother supposedly on the carrier...which did have such a position.

I'm not going anywhere with this, but I found it interesting, and a quick search tonight didn't find anyplace that had crew lists to check.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Crew member of U-505 grand poobah 06/01/2015 04:48AM
Re: Crew member of U-505 t-geronimo 06/01/2015 12:15PM
Re: Crew member of U-505 barinasboy 06/02/2015 10:43AM
Re: Crew member of u-963 chris smith 06/07/2015 09:20PM
Re: Crew member of u-963 jennifer twardun 07/12/2015 07:16AM
Re: Crew member of u-963 Harriot Nelson 06/10/2019 08:13PM
Re: Crew member of U-505 WOLF 06/08/2015 06:58AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.