General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: U-85 and spies?
Posted by: jliller ()
Date: January 21, 2017 09:42PM

I didn't find anything in the reports under [uboatarchive.net] link that mentions civilian clothing or currency being found on any of the bodies from U-85.

I recently came across the story of U-85 and possible spies while reading "Torpedo Junction." Hickam's book does NOT mention finding anything suspicious about the bodies. However, I came across mention on Wikipedia of the spy angle:

[en.wikipedia.org])
"Some of the bodies were wearing civilian clothes, carrying wallets with United States currency and identification cards."
citation: Rouse, Parke, Jr., "Under the Cloak of Night", United States Naval Institute Proceedings, June 1982, pp. 74–75

Doing some internet searching here's what I found:

"Betrayal: The True Story of J. Edgar Hoover and the Nazi Saboteurs"
by David Johnson (2007, pg 104)

"Some of the bodies were wearing civilian clothes instead of Kriegsmarine uniforms. When their pockets were examined, they were found to contain American currency, quite a bit of it, as well as Social Security cards, draft cards, and other documents necessary for living and working in the United States. 'They had been preparing to row ashore in a rubber raft when the submarine was discovered,' wrote an American naval historian."

Johnson cites Rouse's article as his source and notes that Rouse questioned why the dead Germans were buried at night.

I think to make sense of this we need to find a copy of Rouse's article and see if he gives a source for his story. USNI's Proceedings is a pretty good magazine and Rouse is a big enough name to have a Wikipedia article (he was a journalist for many years after serving in the Navy in WW2 in the Pacific), but the limited information presented gives me a conspiracy theory vibe.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-58 and spies? ClintJohnson 01/17/2017 07:33PM
Re: U-58 and spies? t-geronimo 01/18/2017 08:31AM
Re: U-58 and spies? ClintJohnson 01/18/2017 09:31PM
Re: U-85 and spies? jliller 01/21/2017 09:42PM
Re: U-85 and spies? ClintJohnson 01/22/2017 01:41AM
Re: U-85 and spies? jliller 01/22/2017 03:58PM
Re: U-85 and spies? ClintJohnson 01/22/2017 07:42PM
Re: U-85 and spies? Joseph M 03/25/2017 03:56PM
Re: U-58 and spies? Ken Dunn 03/25/2017 08:15PM
Re: U-58 and spies? Joseph M 03/26/2017 02:04PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.