General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Alfred Schenk
Posted by: JMB ()
Date: July 11, 2017 11:16AM

I was recently researching Commando deaths at Achnacarry but this opened up to any WWII military deaths in the Lochaber area.

One was Alfred Schenk was found drowned in Glasnacardoch Bay, near Mallaig in Inverness-shire on 4th April 1945. He is just described as a German Naval officer Number R1941 and age 42.

He seems to have been initially buried at Morar but was later transferred to Cannoch Chase.

Date of Death:23/03/1945
Regiment/Service:German Navy
Grave Reference:Plot 3 Row 17
Grave 540
Cemetery:CANNOCK CHASE GERMAN MILITARY CEMETERY

I presume from the date they must have identified what U-Boat he served on and that is when it sank.

I looked on [www.volksbund.de] but little there

According to the information available to us, Alfred Schenk has been missing since 04.1945.
We have recorded the name and the personal details of the person named above in the memorial book of the cemetery Neumark / Stare Czarnowo. You are welcome to order an extract from us.
Please note that the version on display in some cemeteries is not the current version; therefore, the name of your relative may not be recorded in it.
Surname: Schenk
Forename: Alfred
Date of birth: 04.12.1904
Date of death/becoming missing: 04.1945

I presume me must have been on this one from your records here

U-722. Sunk on 27 March 1945 in the North Atlantic in the Sea of the Hebrides, in position 57.09N, 06.55W, by depth charges from the British frigates HMS Fitzroy, HMS Redmill and HMS Byron.

Can anyone confirm he was from U-722

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Alfred Schenk JMB 07/11/2017 11:16AM
Re: Alfred Schenk jcrt 07/11/2017 11:33AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.