Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Director's Cut omissions
Posted by: Peter Louw ()
Date: August 12, 2005 11:01AM

Being new to this wonderful website, forgive me if this topic has appeared in the past. Since seeing the original Das Boot in the 80s, and then the TV series, and then after reading the book, it has fascinated me, and I have no doubt that it is the best war movie ever. Recently I ordered the Directors' Cut DVD, and while it remains a masterpiece, I was sorry to note a few omissions compared to the previous versions that slightly detract from the overall story (if my memory serves me well):

The "Bible Scholar" has a reduced role, whereas his character was given more scope previously. I rather appreciated his dignified way of coping with the enormous stress.

I missed the confrontation between the journalist and the Kaleun on the captain's refusal to assist the drowning and burning British sailors. The captain's clear and honest explanation for his actions (not enough space in the sub) puts it all in perspective.

The search for the German boat in the Spanish harbour so as to get fresh supplies - in the Director's Cut this was much shortened; however the longer scene did have a function: emphasising the contrast between the cold, long submersion and the sudden Spanish exotica (you hear Spanish guitars in the soundtrack).

Instead the director could perhaps have shortened the crisis below the surface at Gibraltar. By the way, I'm not too happy about the English subtitles, it seems that the translators have been somewhat creative in a negative sense. I understand a bit of German, and a lot of the subtitles simply do not reflect the dialogue. But all in all it remains an absolute masterpiece which I will watch and enjoy time after time.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Director's Cut omissions Peter Louw 08/12/2005 11:01AM
Re: Director's Cut omissions Meg Rosenfeld 08/15/2005 10:39PM
Re: Director's Cut omissions Peter Louw 08/16/2005 07:48AM
Re: Director's Cut omissions Io Chrysafidou 08/16/2005 07:13PM
Re: Director's Cut omissions Meg Rosenfeld 08/16/2005 09:53PM
Re: Director's Cut omissions Pat W 08/18/2005 11:39AM
Re: Director's Cut omissions Robert Murphy 10/13/2005 12:37PM
Re: Director's Cut omissions Ian Stapley 11/25/2005 08:05AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.