Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Re: Drama Film "The Sinking of the Laconia"
Posted by: Bacsie ()
Date: January 02, 2011 11:25PM

Don't miss this - it looks very promising. It's scripted by Allan Bleasdale. Today's edition of the Observer has a big piece on it which revolves around an interview with a survivor who met Hartenstein on the day of the sinking. The survivor is 91-year old Geoffrey Greet, who was understandably incensed with the man on the day but came to admire him in the days that followed. "I think for Hartenstein it was a little bit of the 'brotherhodd of the sea'...He desperately tried to convince us he was doing something that was for our own good...(he) spoke very good English. He assured me there were boats coming from Dakar. It became obvious he was a much better man than we had thought...I am pleased this story can be told properly now". Incidentally, one of the actors, who met other survivors of the incident, claims that "I believe the Americans in particular didn't want the facts to come out".

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Drama Film "The Sinking of the Laconia" Denis Martin FTU 12/29/2010 05:35PM
Re: Drama Film "The Sinking of the Laconia" Bacsie 01/02/2011 11:25PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.