Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Re: Das Boot: Capt. Thomsen
Posted by: BHenderson ()
Date: June 23, 2012 12:46AM

I had an idea that "Thomsen" might have been at least possibly based upon K-F Merten (and I don't remember now why) but on second look, U-68 was a Typ IX boat - thus, not likely to have been based with 7th Flotilla in St. Nazaire with U-96 - and Merten wasn't really active until mid-1941, so that seems to have been a misapprehension. The "lying on the bottom at Gibraltar" incident was autumn of 1941 but "Thomsen" was shown as being 'washed up' prior to this. The boat actually met and observed by Buchheim in mid-Atlantic was U-572 under the politically unfortunate K-Lt. Hirsacker.

I agree that "Thomsen" was probably fictional but it's just my guess that there was *someone* (or somepeople) who Buchheim had observed and who influence his characterization.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Das Boot: Capt. Thomsen radiogaga80 05/31/2012 09:03PM
Re: Das Boot: Capt. Thomsen Filip 06/22/2012 02:54PM
Re: Das Boot: Capt. Thomsen BHenderson 06/23/2012 12:46AM
Re: Das Boot: Capt. Thomsen radiogaga80 06/23/2012 07:04AM
Re: Das Boot: Capt. Thomsen BHenderson 03/30/2013 02:20PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.