Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Re: Das Boot: Capt. Thomsen
Posted by: BHenderson ()
Date: March 30, 2013 02:20PM

I have also noted that L-W's KTB's are quite "telegraphic" in places and it's hard to get many specifics about the real-life encounter but K-L Hirsacker's KTB from U-572 makes it very clear that U-572 was the boot that U-96 encountered during their chance meeting ("we have only 12 U-boots in the whole North Atlantic and here we are almost colliding with another one in a storm"). It appears that the boats exchanged signals by blinker lamp and Hirsacker recorded that he confirmed that the boat that he met was U-96.

And I wonder if Hirsacker's later accusation and trial for "treasonous activities" is reflected in "Thomsen's" "Here's to our omnipotent and all-seeing Fuhrer, who rose from being a corporal to the Greatest Military Strategist Of All Time" speech in the bar/nightclub/cathouse before U-96's sortie in "Das Boot". Maybe Buchheim was aiming closer to the mark of a real person than I'd thought.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Das Boot: Capt. Thomsen radiogaga80 05/31/2012 09:03PM
Re: Das Boot: Capt. Thomsen Filip 06/22/2012 02:54PM
Re: Das Boot: Capt. Thomsen BHenderson 06/23/2012 12:46AM
Re: Das Boot: Capt. Thomsen radiogaga80 06/23/2012 07:04AM
Re: Das Boot: Capt. Thomsen BHenderson 03/30/2013 02:20PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.