Modeling and schematics  
Looking for schematics or helpful tips on modeling? This might be the place for you to share your ideas. 
Rubber band power and canoe uboat
Posted by: chris lee ()
Date: May 16, 2001 03:03AM

Has anyone got any old plans for a sub that I had as a child, back in the mid sixyies. It was powered by attaching a drill and winding up a series of rubber bands, setting the rudder and hydroplanes, and letting her go..! the boat dived and came up, within a large arc. I know it sounds crazy, but it worked rather well, and gave me lots of fun. Of course this was before r/c. The total length of the model was around 4 feet, and was well detailed including free flooding vents and vents onthe hull. I would love to build this model not just for nostalgic reasons either. It was made in balsa wood.Any one able to help.? incidently,I have progressed my Canoe/ uboat as discussed on this site to the detailing stage. I have already trailed her in the local lagoon, and adjusted the trim, to make her sit in the water better. She is powered by a 12volt motor with reduction gearing. I have not yet installed any R/C gear as I think this may be problematical in such a large model. Water proofing at this stage does not seem to be a problem. The tower and other detail is made from galv plate, as it has to be strong to avoid buckling when underway.I hope to get some photos up soon. By the way I have to chase her across the lagoon in my boat which causes the locals much amusment..! I really need some r/c in there..

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Rubber band power and canoe uboat chris lee 05/16/2001 03:03AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.