Modeling and schematics  
Looking for schematics or helpful tips on modeling? This might be the place for you to share your ideas. 
Sorry, I did not see the other message
Posted by: Einsamer Wolf ()
Date: November 25, 2002 09:14AM

Dear Joe-

Sorry, I guess I did not see your last post. The hull is utterly devoid of ANY detail. Other than the indentation where the anchor is housed and the aft torpedo tube, every detail--every detail!-- must cast by the modeller. I guess this is why this kit is so notorious. But so I do not think this is so tough, except in turns of a lot of work.... However, the first row of limber holes were not as uniform as I had hoped. But you get the hand of that.
Note however, the free-flood ordrainage holes--the holes above the water line and ballast tanks--are provided, and thank god for that. I had a similar concern, and ti was when I found these holes were provided for that I suddenly became confident enough to buy this kit. IF you have not seen the kit, it is hard to explain exactly how this. Essentially, when you open the kit up, you just get a big resin hull-with no detail at all. At the top of the resin hull, there is a cavity that runs, I owuld guess, abotu foot and a half, maybe more. In that cavity, you put in place wooden bulkheads, for structure. Then, after you have sanded the wooden bulkhead piece down, you fit the brass side and deck panelling into place over the bulkheads. Note that, while the instructions are not clear, I believe that the fitting problem with the wooden bulkheads is not that the length-wise beam is too long, but that you are evidently supposed to file out over an inch of resin on the afts-die. I made the mistake of trimming the bulkhead. The problem is the brass side panellings are then also too long. I solved this though by carving an indentation that the side of the panekling fits into the resin in a flush and seamless manner. Anyhow, to answer your question, the free-flood drainage holes are provided for.
By the way, did you read my thread on the Turm I versus Turm II matter. A fellow said he was going to send me specs form the out of print and expensive westwood text, but I have not received them yet. White Ensign has Von Prototpy Zum MOdeell and the Stern texts available, but no one has indicated whether these texts give me detailed infor,ation on different versions of Turm I and the u-baots which featured them. Any help? Again, I am looking for technical information on Turm I configurations and the Type VII Bs or Cs that had them. I am hoping either u-96 or u-101 had them

Best Wishes

Einsamer Wolf

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Would you gamble ten bucks on this kit; progress w Einsamer Wolf 11/23/2002 08:23AM
Re: Would you gamble ten bucks on this kit; progre Gabor Hopocky 11/23/2002 06:16PM
Re: Would you gamble ten bucks on this kit; progre Einsamer Wolf 11/23/2002 06:37PM
Re: Would you gamble ten bucks on this kit; progre J.Brennan 11/25/2002 07:03AM
Sorry, I did not see the other message Einsamer Wolf 11/25/2002 09:14AM
Re: Sorry, I did not see the other message J.Brennan 11/26/2002 04:31AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.