Modeling and schematics  
Looking for schematics or helpful tips on modeling? This might be the place for you to share your ideas. 
Emblems in 1:72 scale
Posted by: Einsamer Wolf ()
Date: November 27, 2002 10:09AM

Dear Contributors--

I know this subject is far off the horizon at the moment, given how far along I am on this Amati kit. But as I have been able to discern that the tower configurations for u boats 96, 99, 101 are similar enough to the tower in the box to allow reasonable straightforward alterations, I am beginning to think about emblems. It is one of the thngs I am looking forward to most in this whole project. I am strongly attracted to the swordfish emblem, which U 96 appears to have had. And whereas I had thought that U 99 only had that horsehoe they dug up with their anchor, this site does not list that boat as one without an emblem. If U 99 or U 101 were to have an even more exciting emblem, I might model either of those boats instead.
I know there is the option where one prints a 1:1 facsimile of the image on to a decal sheet. And then just applies a home-made decal. I have a color printer--it is a jet printer (who can afford a color lazer prienter?). I am not sure whether this would be suitable for producing my own decal or not. Actually what I am considering doing is reducing the image to 1:1 to scale for a 1:72 production. Then cutting out a template. If there is a whtie background, as is the case in both the swrodfish and cat emblems, I would first airbrush that white background against that template. Then I would prepare a smaller template, say of the red body of the sword-fsih, and airbrush that. I would probably just paint the rest by hand. Not sure how well this will work. But I believe hand-painted emblems and markings represent the highest forte of scale model building: a challenge I am becoming increasingly desirous of undertaking and meeting. Beyond this, painting the emblem by hand would elimiante the problem decals have in leaving a visible film in the absence of an initial gloss coat.
As such, I was writing to solict and tips or suggestions on depicting an emblem. DOes my intuition about how to hand paint emblems seem kosher, so to speak? SOme of my ideas are influenced froma text called Panzer Modelling, which contends that it is possible to hand paint numerals and other markings with a very professional look, and is even essential if working with a Zimmerit texture, as well as Panzer tactics, which talks about the template technique in creating a background for variouss SS and other divisional markings. The first text recommends an entirely different set of brushes and paints, admittedly on the pricey side. But apparently, if you use these artist-caliber brushes, it is possible to paint these things by hand with stunning results.

Best Wishes

Einsamer Wolf

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Emblems in 1:72 scale Einsamer Wolf 11/27/2002 10:09AM
Re: Emblems in 1:72 scale Wiljan 12/01/2002 08:49PM
Re: Emblems in 1:72 scale Einsamer Wolf 12/01/2002 09:02PM
Re: Emblems in 1:72 scale Wiljan 12/01/2002 09:19PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.