Modeling and schematics  
Looking for schematics or helpful tips on modeling? This might be the place for you to share your ideas. 
Re: 1/72 type VIID conversion
Posted by: Andy @ Germany ()
Date: October 31, 2007 12:34AM

I've copied this text from Nautilus Models some month ago on Steelnavy:

While doing the master work for the new deck I have discovered the following inssues with the Special Navy Type VIID conversion (kit#72005):

1.) The lower Mine Shaft block (PUR3) is too long for the prescribed cut. The modeler will need to remove an extra length of 0.195"/5mm form either the aft keel section of the aft end of the resin (I chose the resin)

2.) The Type VIID used a fairwater not found in either kit! The kit you need to use is #5015 for the early style bridge with a single 2.0cm in the round platform. The problem with this is you will need to steal kit part 125 from 5045 to get the antenna fairing (oh, and the modified ventura, too)

3.) The kit instructions tell you where to cut the forward deck, but not the rear cut! You will need to cut the rear portion of the center deck 2.39"/61mm forward of the back end of the center deck section and sand it until it fits. This line is just forward of the aft deck hatch.

4.) The intsructions are not clear as to where the superstructure sides need to be cut either. The entire IP4/IP5 piece is 11.03"/280mm long, when the instructed cuts of 134mm & 14mm are added to the hull plug (IP2/IP3) length of 5.25"/133.5mm the total cut length becomes 281.5mm. When you cut 134mm forward and 14mm aft, you end up with a gap of 0.08" - luckily this can be filled with any 0.080 stock. The fix I would reccommend (based on my buildup) is to reduce the cuts to 0.51"/12.95mm aft and fwd cut to 5.25"/133.5mm (check the math - it adds up)

5.) the holes made in the replacement deck (IP1) are too small for the kit periscopes by about 0.02"/0.5mm. Simply use an exacto knife to scrape them open them up.

6.) there are two small access hatches and other surface detail on the rear end of the kit fairwater that will need to be removed so the upper mine shaft (PUR2) will fit snugly against the fairwater.

The new Type VIID deck is almost ready, and will sell for $40. Check the website later this week. I'll also post a notice once I've gotten the page written. I will be changing the holes for their bollards to the standard bollard I have etched into the other decks.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
1/72 type VIID conversion Ismo Mehtälä 10/30/2007 12:21PM
Re: 1/72 type VIID conversion Andy @ Germany 10/31/2007 12:34AM
Re: 1/72 type VIID conversion phil 12/15/2007 09:12PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.