Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Submarines type IX in very cold waters
Posted by: B. Wurche ()
Date: March 13, 2012 09:31AM

Dear all,

I have some questions about submarines (type IXC) in very cold waters.

I am preparing a talk, in which german submarines about 1945 in antarctic waters shall be discussed. I know, that this is a hypothetical discussion, because it never happened!!!

1. What is known about the influence of very low temperatures on technics and material of a submarine?
I learnt during my own expedition in Antarctic waters, that coldness (between 0 and -30 ° C) costs an enormous amount of energy and is even more corrosive than seawater.
In my opinion, a submarine of 1945 was not able to operate for months in very cold waters without repairing and spare parts.
Is this correct?

2. Is there anything known about the influence of a cold environment to crewmen?
In Schäffer “U977:66 Tage unter Wasser” he wrote, that most submarine-men had after their third tour rheumathism.
I found only small publications from the US Navy about diseases typically for submarines and this was congruent with Buchheims “Das Boot” (skin diseases, lice, infuries,…). But nothing about rheumathism.
Do you have more informations?

3. After my informations dived submarines of this time were blind and couldn´t navigate in very small submarine channels.
Is this correct?

4. Is anything known from arctic waters of damaging by ice drift?
Did the submarine commanders risked such a damaging?
I think, that a submarine is very vulnerable against ice.
Did the submarine commanders risked such a severe damage?
After my information they only went for short times under the ice, e. g. to hide.
Is this correct?

Many thanks in advance,

Best wishes

B. Wurche
Dipl.-Biol., Online-Red.
“meertext”

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Submarines type IX in very cold waters B. Wurche 03/13/2012 09:31AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.