Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
writing a book/last days ww2/new uboat/new weapons?
Posted by: malcolm o'brien ()
Date: May 27, 2013 11:14PM

I am writng a book set in the final days of world war 2,it is set around a new u boat, "the sea scorpion" a secret and the most advanced u boat ever built by the German navy, I just wondered if some of the "upgrades" I will be attributing to the sea scorpion are really valid?
1) codenamed "vesuvius", an upward firing acoustic, short range,(600mtres) shaped charge, torpedo,fired vertically at any vessel that approached to depth charge.Stored inside the boat, much like the polaris missiles are now?
2) Underwater "chaff", much like that used by aircraft to confuse radar pictures,fired off at a number of points from around the boat and detonated at differing ranges?
3) A type of "rocket booster" fitted externally either side of the boat,self oxidising propellant, can be used only once in an extreme emergency to increase speed of boat for a very hasty exit? many thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
writing a book/last days ww2/new uboat/new weapons? malcolm o'brien 05/27/2013 11:14PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.