Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Defense Against the Type XXI U-boat
Posted by: Don Baker ()
Date: January 20, 2001 03:27AM

Hello to the “Technical & Operations” Team:

I have obtained a copy of a USN/ONI study from the National Archives which is dated 1951. The study was originally “classified” but has now been de-classified. It is indeed an interesting and informative historical document.

As you will remember, during the 1951 period the Russians were building a formidable number of “Whiskey” class submarines based largely on the Type XXI U-boat design. Imagine if you will, a team of German naval experts advising on how to defend against the Type XXI and Walter Type XXVI U-boats. Fascinating!

Well that is exactly what happened. The study, titled “Defensive Measures Against Enemy Type XXI and Walter Type XXVI U-boats”, was prepared by a team of German naval experts providing recommendations to the USN for use in constructing a defense against the Russian submarine threat. It is entertaining to compare what has actually developed in the ASW field during the ensuing years to that which was analyzed and recommended by the German team in 1951.

The report contains much information on the Type XXI operating characteristics as well as a wealth of information on German communications and underwater equipment, both that which was “in-use” and that which was “under development” at the end of WWII. There are some systems mentioned which I have never seen referenced in any other publication. There is also information on German torpedo developments as they existed at the end of the war.

Rainer Bruns lent a hand in translating the German terms used in the report and I thank him for his assistance; the report is in English. Interesting to note: Adm. Godt, once Chief of Staff to Adm. Doenitz, approved the study before it was transmitted to ONI.

Since this study and its subject matter is outside the purview of our forum I feel it is not appropriate to post this information on the forum. However, since we have discussed many times what might have happened had the Type XXI boats made it into the war, I thought there would be some of you out there who might like to see what the experts had to say on this question. The study is 14 pages which can be attached to an e-mail. You will need Word 97 to download.

If you would like a copy let me know. Depending on how many of you respond it might take a little time to answer but I will try to respond in a reasonable time to everyone requesting a copy.

Regards,
Don B

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Defense Against the Type XXI U-boat Don Baker 01/20/2001 03:27AM
RE: Defense Against the Type XXI U-boat Don Baker 01/20/2001 09:49PM
RE: Defense Against the Type XXI U-boat Ron C 01/20/2001 10:23PM
Re: RE: Defense Against the Type XXI U-boat type2189 11/14/2016 01:47PM
RE: Defense Against the Type XXI U-boat Leon Gall 01/21/2001 07:19PM
RE: Defense Against the Type XXI U-boat kurt 01/27/2001 02:37PM
Re: Defense Against the Type XXI U-boat dennis maurino 11/13/2016 11:24PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.