Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
RE: VII Hull
Posted by: Jeff LaRue ()
Date: October 13, 2000 04:02PM

Greg,

>>> What are the rectangular shapes shown at the base of the saddle tanks,
and also at the bottom near the keel? .... Coverings for water inlet?

As Rainer has said....correct.

>>> Also, notice the keel "cutout." I don't see this on any line drawings. Is this correct?

Depending on the drawings.....I sometimes see this keel cutout and sometimes do not. However this may not be wrong. There are photos of Type VIIC's that do and do not have this cutout. My guess is that this may be some sort of construction difference between the yards (?)

I believe that it is accurate to say that there are two types:

1) the keel in this area has a triangular cross section, with the base of the triangle being no wider than the keel itself. In this case the vents would be closer together than seen on the Fine Arts Model. The Fritz Kohl planrolle of the Type VIIC clearly shows this style of keel.

2) the keel has the normal "rectangualr" cross section, but has small extensions added to the lower edges. This is what the Fine Arts Model seems to be showing. This is also the configuration of the keel of the U-995 as seen in the many photos of that boat.

-Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
VII Hull Greg Dorfmeier 10/13/2000 12:15PM
RE: VII Hull Rainer Bruns 10/13/2000 03:06PM
RE: VII Hull Jeff LaRue 10/13/2000 04:02PM
RE: VII Hull - a guess Garth 10/16/2000 04:42AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.