Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
RE: Small Arms aboard U-boats
Posted by: John R. ()
Date: January 24, 2001 02:07PM

Yes they did. If you go to www.uboatarchive.net and search the archives for the interviews with captured crews, the reports have pretty good inventories of what was on the U-Boats. One caveat though- sinnce these descriptions were gotten from survivors of the sinkings, they may not be as accurate as if a bunch o\' blue Jackets had boarded and taken a count.They could\'ve been mis-information, or situations like grilling the cook over what radio gear was carried on board.
I find a LOT of diference in the descriptions of the radios carried. Everything from 100 Watt to 6 Kilowatt transmitters (our BB\'s didn\'t even have that much RF out!) and all manners of other gear. My scepticism comes from thinking the Germans would have been more standardized in there technology than that.

Well, I got long -winded there, didn\'t I. The short answer, again, is yes. I think the standard issue was Gwr 98, and I think the MP 38-40 was carried.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Small Arms aboard U-boats Michael Kohrer 01/24/2001 12:03AM
RE: Small Arms aboard U-boats John R. 01/24/2001 02:07PM
RE: Small Arms aboard U-boats james stewart 01/24/2001 06:50PM
RE: Small Arms aboard U-boats Leon C Gal 01/25/2001 01:03AM
RE: Small Arms aboard U-boats Ken Dunn 01/26/2001 09:37PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.