Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
RE: EMS mines
Posted by: Ken Dunn ()
Date: February 20, 2001 12:30AM

Hi Andrey,

Just sent you an e-mail then I sat down and picked up a book and found this:

EINHEITSMINE SEHROHR-TREIBMINE (EMS)
The Einheitsmine Sehrohr-Treibmine (= standard mine/drifting) was a tube-launched mine which entered service in late 1943. It was designed to float on the surface, moving with the current, and to explode on contact with a target. It became active 10 minutes after launching and sank automatically 72 hours later. It carried 3l lbs (14kg) of explosive.

MINETORPEDO-A (MTA)
The Minetorpedo-A was developed to replace the TMA and was, in essence, a torpedo with a mine warhead, which was intended to overcome the problem of the vulnerability of U-boats when laying ground mines in shallow waters. A standoff weapon, the MTA could be programmed to run to any distance up to a maximum of 7,655yd (7,000m) in 220yd (200m) increments. On arriving at the set distance, the motor switched off and the torpedo sank to the bottom where it acted as a ground mine. It had to be used in water less than 66ft (20m) deep for maximum effect.

Source: “U-Boats The Illustrated History of The Raiders of The Deep” by David Miller. ISBN: 1-57488-246-5.

Regards,

Ken Dunn

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
EMS mines Andrew 02/17/2001 09:30PM
RE: EMS mines Andrew 02/19/2001 08:51PM
RE: EMS mines Ken Dunn 02/20/2001 12:30AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.