Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Re: U-boot en Chile
Posted by: Simon Gunson. NZ ()
Date: January 05, 2009 09:45AM

Thank you Luis.

British writer Geoffrey Brooks living in Argentina told me the following about this meeting:

"It is an irritating fact that people in a wonderful position to report details never put them down fully in writing. I talked to the Chilean family on many occasions about the "Almirante Latorre" incident but obtained no further information except that it was a "typical" German U-boat, by which I assume it was a Type VII or Type IX. The incident occurred "right at the end of the war" they said."

He also told me about a U-boat wreck in Patagonian waters.

"I did not say I could identify the San Matías wreck by its number. The sonar scan photo I saw is of a well preserved Type IXC/40. My contact stated that he thought it was in the U-1236 range which never entered service, but I do not know why he thought that...Argentines believe that this is the boat pursued and depth charged off San Antonio Oeste on 18 July 1945 by their torpedo boat "Mendoza". This attack is well documented. If it was this boat, it headed for the south shore of the gulf but sank about ten miles out. "

Geoffrey thought the Argentine navy's involvement with that wreck spoiled the archaeological aspects. He believes the Argentine navy with their hard hat diver examination of the wreck botched the examination to provide an inconclusive report.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-boot en Chile karl 06/25/2004 04:02AM
Re: U-boot en Chile Abel Basti 02/06/2008 12:06AM
Re: U-boot en Chile Simon Gunson 02/13/2008 11:14PM
Re: U-boot en Chile Luis Jollán 04/14/2008 12:27AM
Re: U-boot en Chile Pedro 06/22/2008 02:00PM
Re: U-boot en Chile Simon Gunson. NZ 01/05/2009 09:45AM
Re: U-boot en Chile alexander 03/24/2023 07:40PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.