Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Type VIIC Switch board; Battery and E-motor control...
Posted by: Don Prince ()
Date: June 15, 2008 08:21PM

Gentlemen,

I have been searching for years... I am looking for information and electrical schematics of the Switchboard in the Type VIIC U-Boat. I was wondering if this information would be available at the U-Boot-Archive in Cuxhaven.

U-Boot-Archiv
Bahnhofstr. 57
27478 Cuxhaven
Germany

I did find a schematic for the Type IID (U-139) switchboard on the web. Of course, the Type IID only had one battery room and the voltage was split as +110, 0v, and -110v. I believe I have a fairly good understanding of how the e-motors were driven and controlled in the Type IID.

In the Type VIIC, I believe the only difference was the Type VIIC had two battery rooms and a switch to run the batteries in parallel (Low, Slow, and Half) and Serial (2 x Half, Full, 2 x Full, High). The dual Armature control for the E-motor was Parallel for Low speed, and Serial for Slow, Half, 2 x Half, Full, 2 x Full, and High speed.

From My research, I believe this information may be in the Type VIIC electrical schematic book, or the “M.Dv. 382, 456 Maschinen und E-Kunde fur U-Boot Bauart VIIC. Does anybody know if my conclusion is correct and will these books be available to copy at the U-Boot-Archive? I plan or retiring is about two years an making a trip to Germany to see U-995, the museum, and the U-Boot-Archive….

Regards,
Don_

"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Type VIIC Switch board; Battery and E-motor control... Don Prince 06/15/2008 08:21PM
Re: Type VIIC Switch board; Battery and E-motor control... SnakeDoc 06/19/2008 03:57PM
Re: Type VIIC Switch board; Battery and E-motor control... Don Prince 06/21/2008 12:20AM
Re: Type VIIC Switch board; Battery and E-motor control... SnakeDoc 06/21/2008 08:26AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.