Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Re: F-M and GM Cleveland engine sfc
Posted by: Scott Sorenson ()
Date: August 27, 2012 07:05PM

Mr.Jukka Juutinen;

This is what I have found concerning fuel consumption of both the Fairbanks - Morse and General Motors engines used in the fleet boats.

Fairbanks - Morse
Fuel capacity was 118,300 gallons (rated) of diesel oil, which fueled 4 main Fairbanks-Morse opposed piston 1,600 horsepower diesel engines, and one auxiliary Fairbanks-Morse opposed piston diesel engine...which turned generators...which made electricity...which turned two Elliot main propulsion motors of 2,740 shaft horsepower...which could drive the boat at 20.25 knots on the surface...and gave her a cruising range on the surface of 11,000 miles at ten knots (rated).

General Motors
Fuel capacity was 118,000 gallons (rated) of diesel oil, which fueled 4 main General Motors Model V16-278A, 1,600 horsepower diesel engines, and one auxiliary General Motors diesel engine...which turned generators...which made electricity...which turned four General Electric main propulsion motors of 2,740 shaft horsepower... which could drive the boat at 20.25 knots on the surface...and gave her a cruising range on the surface of 11,000 miles at ten knots (rated)

So for the Fairbanks Morse engines it would be 0.0929 miles per gallons. 11,000 miles/118,300 gallons @ 10 knots (rated)

For the General Motors engine it would be 0.932 miles per gallon. 11,000 miles/118,000 gallons @ 10 knots (rated).

I am using the same method as I would to figure out miles per gallon in a car. Miles/Gallons.

Then, to take it a step further, convert your gallons into tons. You can figure out your tons/miles. Just remember that we are talking miles here and NOT nautical miles.

I hope this helps you out. I also hope that my method and calculation are the correct way to figure this out. If I am wrong, please, someone jump in and correct me on this.

Scott Sorenson

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
F-M and GM Cleveland engine sfc Jukka Juutinen 08/27/2012 01:32AM
Re: F-M and GM Cleveland engine sfc Scott Sorenson 08/27/2012 07:05PM
Re: F-M and GM Cleveland engine sfc Scott Sorenson 08/27/2012 08:36PM
Scott, I am looking for grams/horsepower/hour... Jukka Juutinen 08/28/2012 03:31AM
Re: Scott, I am looking for grams/horsepower/hour... phil morgan 08/28/2012 10:39PM
Re: Scott, I am looking for grams/horsepower/hour... Scott Sorenson 08/29/2012 01:39PM
Interesting info, but not... Jukka Juutinen 09/02/2012 03:23AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.