Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Attack Periscope/A marvel of engineering
Posted by: Dogfish40 ()
Date: November 13, 2012 04:40PM

Can anyone tell me where I can get technical information on the attack periscope on the type VII B and C boats. This scope is the one that tha Kaluen sits in the chair and swivels around.
I have been thinking to write up a paper on this engineering marvel.
On a normal scope, there are two mirrors with prisms. All the light has to do is bounce off one and go straight down a tube.
The attack scope is different. The scope goes up and down but the eyepiece stays in the same place. I can't figure out how they made this work. If the eyepiece stays in the same place, how is the light refracted from the movable scope lens?! I hope this is coming through. The normal periscope is simple in principle as long as the eyepiece and lens are connected, but the eyepiece on the attack scope is stationary while the lens moves up and down.
OK. I need some drawings or diagrams or any technical information that you can think of, I would appriciate it very much.
Thanks
Dogfish40

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Attack Periscope/A marvel of engineering Dogfish40 11/13/2012 04:40PM
Re: Attack Periscope/A marvel of engineering SnakeDoc 11/13/2012 05:55PM
Re: Attack Periscope/A marvel of engineering Dogfish40 11/14/2012 06:02PM
Re: Attack Periscope/A marvel of engineering Simon 11/13/2012 05:59PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.