Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Uboat's radio opertor training
Posted by: Florentin ()
Date: April 14, 2015 12:55PM

Dear friends
I want to know more about the training of radio operators who were on board the Uboats.
First I want to know if they were chosen from the ham radio that were active before enrollment.
Actually, I don't really know if Hitler's regime allowed the practice of this hobby.
The arguments are:
Pro: They would already know the Morse code so they didn't have to waste time learning it.
In addition, they would have a style of work already made and also they would have experience of traffic, so they knew how to deal with both colleagues and with the machines.
So he could be sent to the front after a much shorter period of training.
Against: Amateurs were against the character of the regime.
Somebody could accidentally or intentionally talk too much and "Feind hört dich"
However, the equipment was really expensive so it was hard to buy for those with a modest income.
And those who know how to build their own stations are not too good of a operator.
So I would assume that they were only trained to become soldiers.
I am interested if anyone knows where they were training bases, as well as how long the courses lasted, and about what was the minimum speed of transmission / reception that would be enough for pasing the exams.
If anyone knows any link where I could find such data, or any books, I would owe them ...
Your grateful, Florentin
PS. Honestly, I think that this subiect is quite sensitive. So, I hardly dare to write to any amateur radio club in Germany.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Uboat's radio opertor training Florentin 04/14/2015 12:55PM
Re: Uboat's radio opertor training Scott Sorenson 04/24/2015 06:53PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.