Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
U-boat deck gun - optical sight storage - can you help?
Posted by: m83 ()
Date: August 13, 2015 08:44AM

I am looking for information about the storage of the optical sights used with the main U-boat deck guns (8,8cm and 10,5cm) when not in use. There were two sights, a left and right sight for the gun, both identical in operation.

I have been told that they were stored in a locker (lockers?) to the front lower conning tower, however beyond that I have no further information.

I have a few questions that I need help with, as follows:-

1) The guns had two sights, one left and one right....so were there two seperate lockers for the optics? (there appear to be two lockers to the front lower conning tower but I need confirmation of this rather than assuming it to be the case.

2) Were these lockers pressurised / watertight / or just storage ?

3) It would be necessary to have fast access to the sights. So how were they stored in the lockers? were they mounted onto a bracket? stored in boxes? or other?

4) Does anyone have any photos of these lockers? a view inside would be fantastic!! but any views would be good

I have spent time trawling through the internet trying to find answers to these questions without much success. This is such a small area compared to the U-boat as a whole that I am not surprised I can find so little.
I am hoping with the wealth of knowledge on such a site as this that someone may be able to help me.

if anyone can help with any of the above, no matter how small the information I would appreciate it. I also welcome any discussion on the matter

regards Kev

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-boat deck gun - optical sight storage - can you help? m83 08/13/2015 08:44AM
Re: U-boat deck gun - optical sight storage - can you help? m83 08/21/2015 08:03PM
Re: U-boat deck gun - optical sight storage - can you help? m83 09/03/2015 07:13PM
Re: U-boat deck gun - optical sight storage - can you help? m83 11/02/2015 10:44PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.