Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Conning Tower rusts away in some cases and doesn't in others.
Posted by: Dave McQueen ()
Date: August 09, 2016 07:46AM

Hi

What is the outer hull/conning tower of a U-Boat made of compared to the pressure hull. I find U-Boat wrecks sometimes hard to make sense of as the conning tower as I knew it seems to have rusted away leaving the pressure hull. This is a much smaller tower and very unfamiliar looking.
Are the conning tower and pressure hull made of the same substance, but the tower is made of such thin layer that is has rusted away or is it made of a different metal?
Also in some sea’s like the Baltic the conning towers look pretty much as a know them, but in others like the English Channel they are these ugly pressure hull only projections. So I assume water salinity has some sort of impact on whether the original tower appears intact or has rusted away?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Conning Tower rusts away in some cases and doesn't in others. Dave McQueen 08/09/2016 07:46AM

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.