Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Catalina crash site at De Hoop?
Posted by: ClintBarton ()
Date: July 23, 2018 09:42AM

Hello,

I have spent the week flying the Overberg coastline between Struisbaai and the mouth of the Breede River. On one flight my pax was a former manager of the De Hoop Nature Reserve and he pointed out a site close to Infanta and said that there was a small amount of wreckage from a Catalina on the shore. According to his sources a Catalina was involved in chasing a U-Boat in the area and crashed shortly after attacking it. I have dived this area extensively over the years and have heard many rumours about a submarine wreck in the area.
This conversation was the first I have heard about a Catalina crashing in the area. I will try to hike to the site and get pictures of the wreckage, but in the mean time I would be very interested to hear if anyone else has any information on this story. A quick google search indicates 3 Catalina's crashed in SA, 2 in June 1943 and 1 in January 1945, none of them near De Hoop. Anyone know if any aircraft have crashed here?

Any help will be apprecited.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:
[www.avcom.co.za]
Digital video content production studio

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Catalina crash site at De Hoop? ClintBarton 07/23/2018 09:42AM

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.