Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Re: Using Type XXI conning tower as an air lock?
Posted by: Beau LAmour ()
Date: July 21, 2021 04:24PM

Thanks for looking that up! It had seemed that way to me too ... but I was in a conversation with an older US navy guy, a man who had served on diesel electrics in the 1960s who seemed to suggest that using the con as an airlock was something that could be done "in a pinch." I never got a sense of exactly how much of a pinch it had to be! Anyway, I started wondering if it was an aspect of design that might have been used on the XXI ... it would certainly answer some questions for me it it was!

I've got some deck plans and elevations for the XXI but nothing that includes the air system plumbing that would answer this or my other question about a salvage air system. I've emailed the Wilhelm Bauer a few times and they don't answer so I was hoping someone here might know or have some opinions.

Thanks again!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Using Type XXI conning tower as an air lock? Beau LAmour 06/22/2021 03:04PM
Re: Using Type XXI conning tower as an air lock? Keith Budzynski 07/19/2021 04:52PM
Re: Using Type XXI conning tower as an air lock? Beau LAmour 07/21/2021 04:24PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.