Warship forum  
A forum for the Allied Warships section. 
Re: Blyskawica trial speed
Posted by: Marek Twardowski ()
Date: March 19, 2003 07:15PM

<HTML>Hello Brian,

Don't worry, I won't be offended by remarks about BLYSKAWICA top speed. I am well aware of problems with trial, top and actual spees of warships.
I know the Kolesnik article.
Frankly, as per today the whole affair about BLYSKAWICA's speed is rather unclear, to say the least.
The information about her reaching actual speed over 40 kts came from memoirs of Cdr Steyer - senior Polish Navy officer who headed the Acceptance Commission for BLYSKAWICA back in 1937. His recollections are that the actual speed attained during trials (over 40 kts.) were later LOWERED by agreement between Polish Navy and the shipyard. From the Kolesnik article it is evident that actual speed was corrected and INCREASED to 40.04 kts.
Again, according to Steyer, speed over 40 kts could not be accepted because changes made to boilers caused them to be overloaded. However I have just received a document from Nov 1937 (signed by Steyer!!) where he states that changes made to boilers will increase both the output and life of boilers.
It seems that Steyer mixed up facts (he wrote his recollections in mid-1950s) and everyone (including me!!) just repeated his words, without trying to look into documents.

Best wishes,
Marek</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
RN attack on French cruisers Marek Twardowski 03/17/2003 09:04PM
Re: RN attack on French cruisers Brian 03/18/2003 01:54AM
Re: RN attack on French cruisers Marek Twardowski 03/18/2003 10:30PM
Re: Blyskawica trial speed Brian 03/19/2003 04:10AM
Re: Blyskawica trial speed Marek Twardowski 03/19/2003 07:15PM
Re: RN attack on French cruisers Lacqua Luciano 04/20/2003 07:26PM

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.