Warship forum  
A forum for the Allied Warships section. 
Re: HMS Tweed
Date: May 01, 2003 02:57PM

<HTML>Brian:

U-305 was part of the Wolfpack "Borkum" which was sub-divided into 3 smaller packs. U-305 became a part of "Borkum 1" where it contacted and torpedoed HMS Tweed at the co-ordinates indicated by Brian near the Azores.

This was the 2nd warship that U-305 had sunk. The previous was HMCS St. Croix which was an old WWI (4-stacker) destroyer that was originally named the USS McCook with the US Navy. As a part of the lend-lease deal, the RCN eventually took over the ship for convoy duty during WWII. Only one crew member of the St. Croix survived the sinking by U-305 and the subsequent sinking of the HMS Itchen that had rescued the officers and crew.

U-305 (commanded by Rudolf Bahr) sunk a total of 2 merchant ships and 2 warships during its 4-patrol history.

I hope this was of some value. I can recommend a book if you are interested in the history of U-305. Let me know.

Douglas</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
HMS Tweed Brian Evans 05/01/2003 09:33AM
Re: HMS Tweed Brian 05/01/2003 11:23AM
Re: HMS Tweed Douglas Struthers 05/01/2003 02:57PM
Re: HMS Tweed Douglas Struthers 05/02/2003 07:17AM
Re: HMS Tweed stevebecker 05/10/2003 05:17AM
Re: HMS Tweed William Brown 05/16/2003 12:55PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.