Warship forum  
A forum for the Allied Warships section. 
French Hydrophones
Posted by: Gabriel Garrido ()
Date: May 29, 2003 12:06PM

<HTML>
Anybody could help me with the next questions?

Did you know the hydrophones carried by the French destroyers at the begining of WW2 ?, names, detection range and type (towed, deck type, keel type... ). I´m mainly interested in the hydrophones carried by the French destroyer Le Hardi in 1940-41 and the hydrophones carried by Le Fantasque class destroyers Le Fantasque, L´Audacieux and Le Malin in 1939-42. Also according to some of my sources some French destroyers were fitted with ASDICS even before the French defeat in June 1940, could you confirm this info ( I must admit that the source that gave me such info isn´t a good one)?, if this is true did you know if the destroyers Le Hardi, Le Fantasque, L´Audacieux and Le Malin that remained in the Vichy fleet were fitted with ASDICS ?? Any French cruiser or battleship that remained with the Vichy fleet was fitted with hydrophones in 1939-42??

According to one excellent French source ALL the French submarines, during the first part of the war (Vichy period = 1939-1942) were equipped with hydrophones of two types: The G12 (with 12 micros) = detection range is around 2000m to 3000m (this isn´t the "official" range, this information was found in a report of French submarines commanders); and G16 (with 16 micros) = detection range of 2000m to 5000m for a targets bearing with a precision of +/-2°. Also I know that the Requin class (or at least the Soufleur) was fitted with the G16. Did you know if the Redoutable class was fitted with G12 or G16 hydrophones during this period (1939-42)??, or even better did you know the exact hydrophone types fitted to the Ajax, Persee and Bévéziers submarines of this class during the same period??.

Thanks in advance for all your comments

Best wishes

Gabriel</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
French Hydrophones Gabriel Garrido 05/29/2003 12:06PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.