Warship forum  
A forum for the Allied Warships section. 
Re: Wrestler
Posted by: jp ()
Date: February 02, 2004 01:34AM

<HTML>As the Hallfried was in trasit between Gibralter and Ardrossan, I would expect the convoy to be routed to the Clyde. On that basis I would expect the survivors to be dropped at Greenock. There were survivor facilities for clothes etc at Greenock which were put in place after the Athenia survivors were put ashore and basically left on the pier.

This was not always the case as stories of Thistlegorm survivors in Suez revealed. The gun crews being naval ratings were taken to Naval barracks, but the crew were left on the dockside.

I would imagine the Hallfried survivors were issued with new papers and joined a new ship sailing from the Clyde. Someone gave me the logbook of a seaman who worked as a greaser through most of WW2. The voyages are listed with his stamped discharge at the end of each round trip, even though he normally rejoined the same ship for the next voyage.</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Wrestler reiffenstein 01/31/2004 09:26PM
Re: Wrestler jp 02/02/2004 01:34AM
Re: Wrestler reiffenstein 02/02/2004 09:57PM

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.