Warship forum  
A forum for the Allied Warships section. 
SS Circassia/SS Rangitiki
Posted by: Linda Williams ()
Date: March 05, 2004 02:56PM

<HTML>Hello forum members, Would anyone out there recognize the names of these two ships? I am trying to discover whether, and by whom, these ships were attacked and torpedoed off the west coast of Africa in late September/early October, 1942. According to a book published a few years ago in Poland dealing with the movements of Polish refugees during the war, these two ships left Durban, S. Africa in early September, 1942. They stopped briefly at Cape Town then continued up the west coast of Africa heading for Glasgow. One or both of these ships was torpedoed, and the survivors were picked up by a British submarine in the area and transshipped to the less crippled of the two ships. They then made a brief stop in Casablanca because of increased U-boat activity in the mid-Atlantic, and subsequently went on to Glasgow. I am trying to help an elderly man who was one of those Polish refugees find out what actually happened. He was ill and couldn't speak English so had little idea of what was going on around him. On another website, I found information by a British soldier stating that he had been on the SS Rangitiki at the end of 1942, leaving Commberside FOR Durban, S. AFrica. So, I assume that the Rangitiki was not damaged but the Circassia was. Anybody know something about these ships and which U-boats did the torpedoing? Thank you for your help. Linda Williams</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
SS Circassia/SS Rangitiki Linda Williams 03/05/2004 02:56PM
Re: SS Circassia/SS Rangitiki David H 03/05/2004 07:25PM
Re: SS Circassia/SS Rangitiki Alasdair 04/09/2013 12:42PM
Re: SS Circassia/SS Rangitiki Hamish 11/29/2014 06:41PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.