Warship forum  
A forum for the Allied Warships section. 
HMS Torbay (T Class) 1945
Posted by: shirley elrick ()
Date: May 03, 2013 01:25AM

Good morning from Australia. I was very impressed with the details, and the presentation, of the page [uboat.net]. Thanks you for all the work.

I am researching an able seaman who was one of the crew of this sub 9HMS Torbay) from July 44 to Nov 45.

The page quoted has details from the ships log for the time my AB was aboard, and one portion covers in detail a special operation - the landing of some canoes near Phuket. It then goes on the mention 4 other special operations, all of which are marked as 'no further details available'.

I am interested in finding out more of these special operations. To this end I have a person who will be visiting London in September. He is the son of the AB, but has no experience in doing research (unlike me, who has a moderate amount, but I am not going). If/when we find out more, we will be offering the information to your organisation so you can incorporate it into the history of the sub.

My questions are:

1. Would we find out more info if we get access to the log book of the Torbay, or is everything already posted to the page?

2. Is it possible the missions are covered in the Special Operations Executive records that are in the National Archives? We know the date and the place (as we know where the sub was from the log book).

3. If the answer to 2 is Yes - can anyone advise the best way to deal with the Archives, remembering that there will be a person in London in Sept, but with a limited amount of time. I am more than happy to do as much from here as possible prio to the visit.

Many thanks for your time and effort. You certainly made a son of a now dead sailor happy.

shirley

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
HMS Torbay (T Class) 1945 shirley elrick 05/03/2013 01:25AM
Re: HMS Torbay (T Class) 1945 Platon Alexiades 05/12/2013 07:42AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.