WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Looking into U22's sinking of U7
Posted by: LTom ()
Date: August 22, 2011 05:43PM

Hi,

I'm researching WWI U-boats for a fictional story I'm writing regarding the sinking U7 by U22. I’ve been able to find a fair amount of information on the internet and from printed sources, but one thing I have yet to be able to track down is the name of the one survivor of U7 and what his position was on the boat.

There’s a page at a non-uboat-specific site (http://www.btinternet.com/~k.barltrop/u-boat_losses.htm) that says the CO was the survivor, but I’m guessing that is a mistake since it’s documented in multiple other places that Kplt. Georg König died in the attack.

My other hope in finding the survivor was the crew roster over on Ubootwaffe.net. It lists 4 people who do not appear to have died in the 1915 accident since their deaths are either later or not recorded. Because every source I’ve found points to only one survivor, I’m guessing the reason there are four are the others may have transferred to other ships before the accident or were otherwise not on board. In any case, the roster does not mention who survived.

It there a place online that I would be able to find out who this man is and what position he served? I’m open to German language resources.

If necessary I’ll make up the details of the survivor and his position on the boat, but I’d prefer to work as much from reality as possible.

Also, I have yet to find a good description of day to day life and duties on a WWI u-boat. There's plenty of technical data out there, but not as much fluff on what it was like to actually be on a boat. Is there a good book on the subject I can pick up that is still in print?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Looking into U22's sinking of U7 LTom 08/22/2011 05:43PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.