WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Convoys in 1917, rules for participating
Posted by: Jan Ström ()
Date: January 08, 2019 12:23PM

Hello all;

My apologies if this is slightly off-topic, but I have been trying to find how merchant ships were assigned to the convoys that started in 1917.

As mentioned in another thread, I am researching the loss with all hands of the small Swedish composite steamer HAMMAR II in September '17, by UB 62. She obviously sailed alone, and I am trying to figure out why.

She was very small, and presumably slow, which could be a reason that she was not accepted. That was my first assumption, but I imagine that quite a number of vessels even after the start of convoys chose to go it alone, for different reasons - be it long waiting lists, taking the chance, or whatever.

I have not found any mention of "convoy fee" or equivalent in the books I have read so far. Was there a fee, and did HAMMAR II try to shirk that cost?

Still a newcomer here, so please inform me if this is outside of the forum's accepted topics.

Jan Ström
Stockholm

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Convoys in 1917, rules for participating Jan Ström 01/08/2019 12:23PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.