WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Legend of WW1 U-boat scuttled in South African river mouth
Posted by: FHenning ()
Date: November 07, 2019 08:45PM

Hi,

I am hoping to get advice on how to find information about a legend I once heard as a child.

The legend tells of a German WW1 U-boat that ran into difficulty on the East Coast of South Africa. The German crew was forced to scuttled the boat close to shore. The area it sunk was around the mouth of what is called the Fish River. On shore they where helped by Afrikaner people.

At this stage the local white people called "Afrikaners" was against the war and fiercely against the British who occupied the country at that time. These Afrikaners was pro-German and helped the crew make their way to the then German West Africa to escape the British. The crew eventually escaped on a ship back to Germany from German West Africa.

I wrote it off as an old wife's tale until a few years back when I visited the East London Museum in South Africa.

I came across a newspaper article claiming that divers stumbled upon the U-boat in the mouth of the Fish River. They however could not get close to the wreck due to severe current coming out of the mouth of the river. This was only possible due to the abnormal dry weather of that year as normally it would be obscured by the brown water washing into the sea from the river.

Can anybody help me with this. Any help or information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Legend of WW1 U-boat scuttled in South African river mouth FHenning 11/07/2019 08:45PM
Re: Legend of WW1 U-boat scuttled in South African river mouth Urs Heßling 11/07/2019 10:36PM
Re: Legend of WW1 U-boat scuttled in South African river mouth T.F. 02/06/2020 03:39PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.