WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
RESUPPLYING AND ETAPPENDIENST
Date: March 05, 2003 09:09PM

<HTML>As I knows, in 1911 the German navy created a special and ultra secret service in order to supply suface units and submarines in distant waters. This service was mainly supported by employees of navigational companies, ships agent´s and consules in the main ports of the world.
This service rendered good results to graf Spee fleet in the Pacific and Atlantic, and to german auxiliary cruisers in over the world, under the command of Korvette-captain Canaris (later chieef of the Abwehr or German Secret Service).
The Etappendiensts was not discover by the allies at the end of the world war, and rendered also useful services in the Second World War.
Several german submarines were also ressuplied by this system, the first of which may be Hersing´U-21, which sailed from Ems on 25th April 1915 in order to reach the Mediterránean.
After rounding the United Kingdon, reach the northwest coast of Spain, were the supply vessel MARZALA was waiting for him, in order to transfer in Corcubion Bay food, more than twelve tons of fuel and two tons of lubricating oil. Notwithstanding, this fuel has poor quality, because refused to burnt in the Diesel engines of the submarine, and Hersing was nearly to abort the trip to Cattaro, reaching that port with her tanks empties.
I only knows this resupplying to reach the Mediterranean, but is possible that other submarines were also resupplied from MARZALA or other ships in the shores of Spain, because the range of the next submarines to reach the Mediterranean (U-33, U-34, U-35, U-38 and U-39) was the same (7.800 miles at 8 knots in surface) than U-21.
If somebody knows more about resupplyng of german submarines or the Etappendients Srvice in WW1, I will grants and being grateful
My best regards.

JOSEANFELDELRIO@TERRA:ES</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
RESUPPLYING AND ETAPPENDIENST JOSE ANGEL DEL RIO 03/05/2003 09:09PM
Re: RESUPPLYING AND ETAPPENDIENST Yves D 03/05/2003 09:49PM
Re: RESUPPLYING AND ETAPPENDIENST Michael Lowrey 04/02/2003 01:57PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.